In terms of tips a good place to start would be forming good habits when arriving/leaving home (especially relevant in terms of our work monitoring gates!). These include:
- · Making sure you aren’t being tailed, and if you are, drive to the nearest police station.
- · Never pull into your driveway before your gates are fully open – rather pull over and then open the gates. You don’t want to be stuck if someone pulls up behind you.
- · Keep foliage well under control around your gate, as criminals tend to hide behind bushes etc. waiting for you to arrive.
- · Keep your gate area well-lit.
- · Be aware of people in the vicinity as you arrive home.
- · Always close the gate promptly and make sure it closes completely.
- · Maintain your gates regularly – a broken ‘security’ gate is next to useless.
Another thing which is quite important is preparing properly before you go away:
- · Test your alarm system well in advance so that necessary repairs can be made.
- · Inform your security providers that you will not be at home (and when you will be back) – and if you don’t want to tell ADT, tell Verifier hint, hint!
- · Make sure your postbox gets cleared every day as criminals will quickly pick up on the fact that no-one is at home if they see it is overflowing.
- · Provide your security provider(s) with a keyholder to call in case of emergency.
- · Check your electricity/internet before you go – security systems are only as good as the power they run on!